The humble pumpkin is quite a versatile vegetable that can be used in a myriad of unusual recipes, but sadly, it has often been overlooked, or cast aside for more popular vegetables that are considered more trendy or upscale. Although this breed of squash is low in calories, it boasts an abundance of vitamin A, and antioxidants. If you’re not incorporating pumpkin into your diet, you’re definitely missing out.
At long last, it seems that pumpkin is fashionable! There seem to be new pumpkin-related twists on once-traditional recipes at every turn. Pumpkin Spice Latte, Pumpkin-Pie Protein Smoothies, Pumpkin-Cheesecake Shooters, the list goes on, but today, we bring you … (drumroll, please) …
Pumpkin French Toast Sticks!
Yes, you read that correctly – Pumpkin French Toast Sticks! You’re going to love this and it’s a clever way to trick your kids to eat pumpkin.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Yield: 5 servings of 3 sticks each
10 slices of healthy wholegrain bread
½ cup of Libby’s® 100% pure pumpkin
¼ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon of raw honey
1 egg and 2 egg whites
¼ cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 tablespoon of unrefined cane sugar (or sweetener of choice)
Optional Topping: sugar-free maple syrup
- Gently remove the crusts from the bread slices, using a sharp serrated bread knife.
- Combine the pumpkin, ricotta cheese, and honey in a medium-sized bowl.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto 5 pieces of bread. Close the sandwiches with the 5 remaining slices.
- Slice each sandwich lengthwise into thirds so that you have 15 ‘sticks’ in total.
- Combine the eggs, almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla extract in another bowl and mix well.
- Pre-heat a skillet or griddle-pan to medium-low heat 350oF / 175oC and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Coat sticks in egg mixture and place in the pan. Cook until golden-brown, approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan, sprinkle instantly with sugar and enjoy!
- If you have some sticks left over, allow them to cool, then pop them into the freezer in a freezer-safe Ziploc® bag and keep them for another morning. To reheat, simply defrost them in the microwave for a minute, flipping them halfway in, then cook them on high for approximately 1 to 3 minutes, or until heated through, flipping halfway again.
Pumpkin French Toast Sticks: Nutrition Information
Per Serving: (3 sticks)
Calories from fat: 39
Saturated Fat: 1g
Source and photo credits: http://bit.ly/1EZHZcj
Check out all the latest offers on kids’ fashion by visiting www.miniexchange.com.